Re: [FWDLK] FWDLK cars on three wheels

In a message dated 12/9/01 11:03:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mwajm@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> The other day I saw a brief insert on Ripley's with an old clip showing a '
> 57or '58 Plymouth hardtop and a '60 DeSoto sedan each being driven with one
> of the front wheels removed: apparently a test to demonstrate the stability
> of the torsion bar suspension.
>
>  Anyone have any more info on this?

Yes.  I was working in Chrysler Central Engineering at the time.  The cars
were driven from Chicago to Detroit on three wheels, a distance of 300 miles
or so.  The front torsion bar on the wheel side was cranked up tight enough
to carry the load.  I knew at least one student engineer that went on the
trip, but unfortunately have forgotten his name...  I think it was Mike
something.

The cars had to be escorted, and driven very gently because if the brakes
were applied very hard the things tipped over onto the no-wheel side!  Turns,
too, had to be made very gently.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, MI