Re: [FWDLK] 58 Dodge Lancer

The "Lancer" name was used on Canadian-built Custom Royal 2-door and 4-door
hardtops from 1955 to 1959.  In the U,S. it was in  the same years for the
same body styles in the Coronet, Royal and Custom Royal series, plus the
convertibles.   The name is nothing special, just means it is either a
hardtop or convertible.

Total production of the Custom Royal in Canada came to 4,345, compared to
26,640 in the U.S.  Only the 4-door sedan, 2-door hardtop and 4-door hardtop
were built in Canada.  The wagon and convertible were imported.

The "Lancer" name was not used on the Plymouth-based Dodges, by the way.

The problem in this situation is the "318".  It was never used in the
Coronet-Royal-Custom Royal series in the U.S., or in the Canadian Custom
Royal.  The Canadian 1958 Custom Royal used the 354 while the U.S. version
used the 325 or 361 V8 engines.

As for interchanging,  Mike is right - basically only the glass.  The front
doors of the Dodge will fit the Plymouth door opening, but the door handles
will be wrong.

As Mike says, if you want stuff that fits a Dodge, look for a Plymouth-based
Dodge - Crusader, Regent or Mayfair.  If a 1958 Dodge Crusader, Regent or
Mayfair is original, it will have a 313-cid V8, not a 318  (unless it is an
imported Mayfair convertible), same as the Canadian-built Plymouth.

And I agree with Mike.  If the car is in decent shape, leave it for someone
looking a car to restore.  There are other 313 (Canadian) and 318 (American)
vehicles with transmissions out there.   The same powertrain was used in
1958 through 1961, with the transmission choices being the same - 3-speed
manual, 2-speed Powerflite or 3-speed Torqueflite.

Bill
Vancouver, BC