[FWDLK] Block plug question.

Howdy folks. Had a good time helping Dan Morton with his car yesterday. He
always said the car was rough. Rough is a relative term. It's no worse than
mine was when I started. One repair at a time, it'll be done.

I took the rest of the afternoon of and took Grandma to dinner and a movie,
Then, Later that night, I (actually Joe Boubilis and I) started working on
the gaskets of my 56 Plym 6cyl. It works better this way because Joe does
not get cranked up till 10pm.
We replaced the rear main seal, then moved to the timing chain cover.
It seems the cover is bolted to a plate, which is bolted to the engine. In
between the plate and the engine, there is a gasket. I removed that gasket
and behind it was a plug, kind of like a freeze out plug, it was brass. We
(Joe Boubilis & I) saw a drip of coolant come from the plug and I also
noticed it on the gasket. By the looks of it, the only place it could have
come from was the "Block" plug.
So here's teh dilema.
Do I try to replace it ? I'd like to, but I'm leary about taking it out and
not being able to find another one. I'm not even dure what to call it.
Even if it did seep, The plug and gasket are sandiwched between the block
and plate, so there's really nowhere for it to go.

Any suggestions, insights, etc

Thanks,
Nick