From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dan Morton
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 10:02 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] Savannah's Day Out, Part II

Just about the time I got the '55 Savoy home last night, I noticed a drop in
oil pressure at idle when waiting at a light.  Nothing alarming, but
significant.  When I checked the level several minutes after pulling in the
drive, it was close to the "add oil" level.  Then I noticed that the chassis
crossmember under the crank pulley was wet with oil.  I'd seen some oil here
before, but this was a lot.

When I had the engine rebuilt, the NAPA guy warned me that there might be a
problem with the vibration damper -- there was some wear in it from the oil
seal over many thousands of miles.  I stopped by to see him this morning,
and he told me that one way to address the problem would be to put an
aftermarket thin stainless sleeve over the shaft.  He looked in his NAPA
book and FelPro book, but couldn't find anything listed for my old 230 6
cylinder L-head.

But he got me to thinking, and so I did some exploring on the web.  It turns
out the Federal Mogul's National division makes a full complement of these
sleeves under the "Redi-Sleeve" brand:

http://www.federal-mogul.com/national/index.html

National does not sell to the public, but the guy on the phone was very
helpful.  He told me that if I gave him the diameter of the Vibration damper
shaft, and its length -- he could tell me what to have a parts distributor
order (if, in fact, there is a suitable part).

So, here's my question -- does anyone out there have these dimensions?
They're critical, because the sleeve is EXTREMELY thin (comes with a tool to
install).  Too tight, and it will crumple while putting on.

        adTHANKSvance,
        Dan, TWSAM
        '55 Savoy