Re: [FWDLK] Harmonic Balancers (was: Savannah's Day Out, Part II)

Re: [FWDLK] Harmonic Balancers (was: Savannah's Day Out, Part II)

Dave,
What you said is almost always true. I would look
to the harmonic balancer (on normal engines).

I have to add:

Horizontally opposed internal combustion engines
are balanced by their configuration, and do not need
the vibration dampening.  They do require balancing
for production tolerance variations. This is usually
done by the drilling of the flywheel, or the addition
of weights to the torque convertor or its mount, or
it may be done internally by drilling/filling the crank.
Check out a VW sometime.  I sometimes do some
engineering for a guy who has a gov't contract to
develop an engine configuration he has designed.
It is  a horizontally opposed cylinder configuration.
Sometimes 4 cylinder,  or 6, or 8 cylinders, in an
assembled form.  We try them all, and also try to
keep it modular in design.

Tom
Southern Ohio