Re: [FWDLK] 6 VOLT to 12 Volt - QUESTION!!!

Re: [FWDLK] 6 VOLT to 12 Volt - QUESTION!!!

Regarding Forward Look Frank's posting, I agree that the radio is
voltage-sensitive, but respectfully disagree that it is polarity-sensitive.
To the best of my knowledge and tests, the old tube radios don't "care"
whether they are positive or negative grounded.  If the original 6V radio is
desired to be used, then yes it would need either (1) some sort of DC-DC
converter, or (2) the transformer, tubes, and vibrator upgraded to 12V.

I converted my '55 Belvedere to 12V(-) many years ago.  In my conversion I
used parts from a '56 Plymouth, including the gauges and sending units, the
blower motor, the starter, the generator.  What was obviously affected by
the polarity change was the '55's ammeter.  I simply reversed the wiring at
the ammeter gauge connections.  The 6V radio I've not hooked up yet.  I know
a large resistor will technically do the voltage dropping job, but the
resistor gets REALLY hot, thus my recommendation for a DC-DC converter.

conversion, my main reason for doing so was to get more starting "oomph" at
freezing temperatures.  My car, which is my first car, was my daily driver
for 3 years after it was "restored" (it wasn't a frame-off restoration, but
the engine, brakes, paint, and upholstery were all redone).  I lived in the
Denver area at the time and on one very cold winter day (5 F?) I ALMOST had
a no-start condition.  I was a teenage high-school student at the time, and
the thought of my beautiful Belvedere sitting stranded in the school's
parking lot was mortifying to me.  (At nights, the Belvy sat in the garage.)
Knowing we had a '56 parts car in the family, I decided to make the
conversion (including the starter, which my grandfather had recommended was
not necessary).  Also, I liked the idea of having brighter light bulbs (the
12V bulbs have a higher lumens rating than the 6V bulbs), the ability to use
halogen sealed beam headlights, and the ability to hook up a little Pioneer
stereo, which is inconspicuously mounted inside the glove compartment (but
the rear speakers are conspicuously mounted on the rear package
shelf...LOL...).  Now that I'm a bit older and wiser, and that my Belvy has
long since been relegated to recreational-duty only, I've contemplated
converting it back to 6V for originality.  Oh, but I hear my grandfather's
words reverberating through my mind, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Jason Rogers.

WABTEC CORPORATION CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
The content contained in this e-mail transmission is legally privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html