[FWDLK] 12 Volt Conversion / Why

 I kinda felt the need to explain because my old friend Bill B. is on the
list. He owned my car a couple owners back (In the early 1980's) and I just
wanted to shed a little light for him especially.

  My car has always been super reliable.  I bought it about 11 years ago
when I was 17 and have not had many problems in the 11 years (New radiator,
brake lines/shoes & M/C, new interior)But the one consistent problem was the
voltage regulator. I have always had problems with it discharging. A few
good raps on the regulator and the car would stop discharging. I had
replaced it and it kept doing it. I also went through a battery a year
because of over charging. I am sure I could have located the problems but I
hate to monkey around with my electrical system since it is all intact but
very delicate (aged to perfection I guess).  I have always said that if my
generator goes out I will update it, but the damn thing is as solid as a
rock and after 11 years the damn thing still charged like a champ.
  The added bonus of adding an audio system has always been a factor as
well. And for Christmas my father in-law bought me a complete stereo system
and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I am going to have the
stereo installed inside my glove box of course.

  My car is SOOOO Stock that it pains me to add the aftermarket alternator,
but I have to admit that the look of a 1950's car with consistently bright
headlights, not to mention the ability to play Frank Sinatra CDs... Is very
appealing to me. It also means I can take my car to the car wash and not
have to worry that it will discharge in the parking lot. And the best part
is that NO modifications needed to be made and it would take me about 2
hours to convert it back.

   Thanks to everyone for the help..... I hope to add all of this to my site
and include part numbers and photos so that other '55 owners who are
interested in this can do it RIGHT and not have to modify anything
irreversibly.

  Best Regards,
  Josh

  The1955PlymoutPage
  www.cherrysoda.com

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html