Re: [FWDLK] IML: fuel filter (was curious "cruise control" on my

Re: [FWDLK] IML: fuel filter (was curious "cruise control" on my '57)

Hi all,
Today i have some spare time so i decide to take a look at my
fuel filter (remember that i couldn't go more than 65 mph, the
car slows down then goes again etc..). I received a lot of
messages,vast majority told me to check fuel system (filter,
pump). As it is the easiest thing, i remove the plastic fuel
filter i put ahead the pump; the glass fuel bowl on carb (where
is located the original filter) was empty, even if i have the
filter element (you know, you decide to do that tomorrow but
tomorrow you have lot of other things, etc..)
Deception, the plactic filter is like new, not clogged, no
deposit. As it was removed, i take the time to put the correct
ceramic element in the bowl. I bought this element 2 years ago
from Wayne Graeffen who found them i don't know where. It's a
30-82 filter made by Federal Mogul.
So i remove the glass bowl and surprise ! The "home made" gasket
(a circle made with common rubber..) was completly warp and the
half was sunk in the gas outlet of the case !! It's difficult to
describe but you'll found a pic of this gasket at
http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f/images/fuel-filter-bowl.jpg

The pic shows exactly the gasket in the same position than when i
removed it !
Itsn't very difficult to see that when the carb needs a lot of
gas, the gasket clogged partially the fuel delivery. The most
curious thing is that i haven't any gas leak and that the car
runs very well (but under 65 mph).

I put the element (the correct gasket was included) but i haven't
test the car. I'll do later but i think my '57 will now blow the
'65 mph barrier !!

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " :
http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad

- SportsCars : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-sprtcar

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html