Re: [FWDLK] curious "cruise control" on my '57

Re: [FWDLK] curious "cruise control" on my '57

Philippe,

My first guess would be a fuel delivery problem, pump or filter. But since
you said that the car went faster with more initial ignition timing advance,
I would check to make sure your timing advance mechanisms are working.
Disconnect the vacuum line to the distributor, check the initial timing at
idle (4 to 6 degrees), then rev the engine to make sure the "mechanical
advance" advances another 20 degrees. Plug back in the vacuum line and check
the advance at idle. It should be the initial plus 22 degrees additional
vacuum advance. A "dial back" timing light (has a small knob that
artificially moves the timing image back to the visible timing scale on the
engine) works best for these tests. Another method to check the vacuum
advance is to raise the rpm up to a steady 1500 to 2000, snap the throttle
full open for a fraction of a second and then close it before the rpm gets
higher. The timing mark should drop significantly for that brief period when
the throttle is full open and the vacuum goes away.

I once had a 65 Dodge Coronet with a 383 automatic. It would usually go 50
mph in first, but one day it was very sluggish and would only go 30 mph.
Sounded like tons of power at full throttle, but it was like the speedometer
hit a wall at 30 mph. The mechanical advance weights were stuck, and the
vacuum advance doesn't apply at full throttle (no vacuum).

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500