Re: [FWDLK] Fuel gauge & Stainless steel pipes

Re: [FWDLK] Fuel gauge & Stainless steel pipes

The stainless steel pipes have a different coeficient
of thermal expansion that regular steel or aluminized
steel pipes.  So they will grow more when hot and
shrink more when cooled. I wouldn't use them for
the entire length of the system.  Tailpipes maybe.
(Stainless also costs more.)  Trying to hold the
parts of the system in place with nice hangers
when it expands more than usual can be a challenge,
and lead to early failure. Headpipes run hot enough
to dry themselves out and last a very long time.  I
would stick with regular exhaust pipe material for those.

Of course, your mileage may very. It is your project.

Tom                    1957 Dodge Coronet Lancer

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html