[FWDLK] Driveshaft questions

I've had some vibration from my 56 Savoy 6cyl. I have the driveshaft out and
there seems to be play in the joint. I know it must be in the housing
because I've had the joints changed before..
It's late and I'm confused. I ordered a NOS housing from a parts supplier.
It was listed at the housing for a 6cyl, I don't remember if I gave him the
part number for a 55 6cyl, I thought it was the same part as a 56 (I don't
remember the number)
Anyway, I got the joint housing and it's different than mine. It's larger.
Then I realized that I have an extra drivehaft from my 56 8cyl parts car.
I checked that one and there's no play int he joints. I check those joint
housings and they are the same diameter as my 6 cyl housing. So that not the
housing I got from the parts supplier. I'm here in the house now trying to
figure out what it's for.
My plan was to sell it, and jut put the v/8 driveshaft in the 6 cyl car. the
look the same.
So now I look in the parts number book and it shows the 6 cyl drive shaft is
54 5/16 long and the 8 cyl driveshaft is 54 7/16 long.
It shows a different housing for an 8cyl and a 6cyl, but it shows it as the
same joint.
Anybody know what the actual difference ?
Can I use the 8cyl shaft in the 6cyl car. Why is there 2/16 of an inch
difference. Maybe I need to study the driveshaft more closely.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html