[FWDLK] Sad Day In San Francisco, '59 DeSoto

[FWDLK] Sad Day In San Francisco, '59 DeSoto

AYMK I owned a silver-&-white'59 DeSoto Firedome 4dr
Sportsman for 12 years, had to sell it in the middle
of my divorce. The woman I sold the car to had big
plans for it, and took it to a local garage
specializing in older American cars, giving the
mechanic big bucks up front. He proceeded at a snail's
pace but did some things to the car, which
unfortunately was nowhere near finished when he was
killed in a freak accident.

The car is now for sale in this half finished state
and I can't really take it back on myself. It was a
reliable driver despite imperfect cosmetics and I
would hate to see it get crushed with no parts saved
off it.

I looked at the car briefly yesterday. I'm told the
tranny is out of it but I didn't see that personally.
The engine (383-2bbl) has been painted an incorrect
red and has had all accessories removed - still has
its manifolds attached but that's about it. The
drivers window was left open (grrr) and mold has grown
on the upholstery.

The mechanic told the woman I sold the car to that it
had one dead cylinder; I never did a compression check
but it didn't run like it had a dead cylinder. I think
he was planning to tell her he had rebuilt the engine
without doing so, since it has a nice (?) new coat of
incorrect red paint but the oil filter is still
covered with road grime (and probably still has my
fingerprints on it).

Nick Nichols <3nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> has contact
info for anyone who is interested, and I can answer
other questions if anyone wants to know one thing or
another about the car. Unfortunately, neither of us
has space to put the car so we would not be able to
part it out ourselves.

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban