Re: [FWDLK] "Vertigo DeSoto" (You sure that's not a '55?)

Re: [FWDLK] "Vertigo DeSoto" (You sure that's not a '55?)

It's been years since I've seen "Vertigo", and I don't
remember the color scheme (although I do drive by the
apartment building from the movie regularly), but I'm
absolutely certain that was a '55.

A neat trivia question: Which Forward Look vehicles
had absolutely no fins or upper fender addons anywhere
in that year's offerings?

The '55 DeSoto is pretty much it. The '55 Imperial had
the microphone taillights, the upper level '55 Dodges
had the little fins on top (admittedly lower level
Dodges didn't, which is why I said "anywhere in that
year's offerings"), and the '55 Chrysler and Plymouth
had the very beginnings of fins.

Even the '61 Plymouth (I can hear you saying "what
about" from here) had a very small fin in the middle
of the trunk lid. (So small that my 300-K has bigger
fins. Fins on a '64 Chrysler? See below.) Styling
originally conceived this as a much taller fin, sorta
like a single '60 Plymouth fin in the middle of the
trunk, but cut it down before production.

If we include the first Valiant/Lancer as Forward Look
cars, a case could be made for their having small fins
out to the side.

If we extend the Forward Look designation to the '62
Chrysler, '62-'63 Imperial and '62-'64 Dodge 880, we
definitely have finless Forward Look cars. To tell the
truth, I think of these as Forward Look cars even
though I know the factory would've cringed to hear me
call them that.

For another trivia question, what non-Forward Look
MoPars have fins?

The '63-'64 Chryslers have very small fins, so small
they don't really look like fins from the side of the
car. Apparently Elwood Engel's only change to Exner's
design was to bring the rear fenders up at the corners
for a brawnier look. I never really thought of these
as fins until after I bought the 300-K and parked
directly behind it...

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban