Re: [FWDLK] Tranny rebuild cost and where?

Re: [FWDLK] Tranny rebuild cost and where?

Ed,

The leaking of his trans. can probably be stopped without a rebuild.  I have a '57 Dodge and a '61 Chrysler 300G that share the same cast iron trans. There are usually two common leaks, and on both cars I have had, and fixed both.

1.    The filler tube where it attaches to the trans.  You can tighten the fitting until you are blue in the face and nothing changes, it will still leak.  There is no "O" ring to replace like the later torqflites.  Clean the fitting with brake cleaner while it is still in place.  Use a small amount of silicon where the tube goes through the fitting and all should be well there.  There is no pressure there, just a drip, so the silicon should hold.  Don't take it apart to do it because anything that gets into the fluid will cause problems.

2.    The plastic sheath/tube that encloses the housing for the cable shift usually acquires worn or torn spots over time, or can come loose at the trans. end.  As the car sits over a period of time, the torque converter leaks down causing the fluid level inside the trans. to rise and go up the cable housing finding the first place it can escape and empty the trans fluid onto the floor.  I was fortunate that the Chrysler's rubber was fine all the way to the top of the cable, but was separated at the lower end at the trans.  There should be brass ring type of  clamp that was crimped at that spot.  Just remove it and use a tiny radiator type clamp in it's place. Otherwise he will have to find a suitable substitution for the plastic piece that will withstand the fluid and heat.  That plastic tube looks similar to shrink wrap before it is heated.  Maybe a little thicker.  Remember to carry the new one high enough up on the cable so that the fluid won't go over and out  the top end on it's inevitable journey to the floor.

These fixes are a lot cheaper than a rebuild and don't require much time or talent to complete. At least you will have tried the simple way and may avoid the expense and work involved in a rebuild.  Let the group know if you try these remedies and how they work.

Dave Todd

"Edward X. Petrus" wrote:

I know some of this has been discussed before, so please forgive me...

Anyone have a good recommendation for a place in western Pa or eastern OH
who can rebuild a torqueflite for a '57 DeSoto?  Wild guesses on
cost?  Tranny is in a friend's car -- it shifts OK but leaks like a
sieve.  Might not need a whole lot more than gaskets and seals, but I don't
know.

Thanks!

Ed Petrus

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html