Re: [FWDLK] power train question

Terry,

The 1958 and 1959 Plymouths are virtually the same car.  They are both on a
118" wheelbase and share the same body and chassis frame.  So, the engine
fits a 1959 Plymouth, it will fit a 1958.  Same with the transmission,
driveshaft, rear axle, and springs.

The chassis crossmembers are the same for both 6 and V8 models, so you need
not worry about "K" members.

I would take the whole powertrain - engine, transmission, driveshaft and
rear axle.  All the components were built for the V8, so you might as well
keep them all together.  And take the engine and transmission mounts, too.
Also take the transmission controls (you don't say if it is manual or
automatic transmission).   If an automatic, check to see if the transmission
is the same as yours - Powerflite or Torqueflite.  If the yours is one and
the 1959 the other, you will have to get another pushbutton setup and
faceplate.   May as well take the rad, too.  It will be bigger, being for a
V8.

The Powerflite was available with 6 or V8 engines, but the units are
different.   The Torqueflite came only with a V8.

By the way, if the 1959 is a Canadian-built Plymouth, it should have a
313-cid V8, just as a Canadian-built 1957-59 Plymouth 6 had a 250.6-cid
flathead 6, and not the 230-cid unit the American Plymouths had.

Bill
Vancouver, BC