Re: [FWDLK] AAJ brake install question

I think Ron W. is correct about checking the master cylinder.  You need enough volume swept with the pedal stroke to fill the wheel cylinders and move them from the rest position to brake position. Even some stock master cylinders are poor if the brakes are not fully adjusted. ( I had a Datsun Fairlady that had to have the brakes adjusted monthly or it was two pumps minimium , not what you want in a panic).  Check with AAJ about what they recommend.  There are some good articles in some of the "How to Hotrod whatever" books about these calculations and estimates.

  Nick Sperduto <drt-rdr@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone installed the aaj kit on a car with factory
power brakes.

I put the kit in my 56 with factory power brakes, but I
can?t get it to stop well. The pedal hits the floor
before the wheels will lockup.

I?ve bled the brakes three times, there is no air in the
brakes or master cylinder. The push rod on the brake
pedal is adjusted properly with 0 play (according to the
shop manual). The rear brakes are adjust properly, with
just a hint of drag.

I have noticed that on a factory power brake system in
this car, the pedal at normal returned height, is three
inches off the floor.

On a manual brake setup, the pedal is 4.5 inches off the
floor. I?m thinking that there just isn?t enough travel
in a power brake pedal setup to properly work the brakes.

Unless someone answers me and tells me they put it intheir 56 with factory power and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Nick

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm

Do You Yahoo!?