[FWDLK] heat riser valve questions

Hi, gang.  Broke the manifold heat riser valve free on my '57 DeSoto
Fireflite this afternoon.  Thank God for Blaster!  I really don't want to
take the whole thing apart, so I'd like to make sure it's positioned where
the flapper is OPEN.  Am I correct that the counterweight keeps the valve
normally "closed", and exhaust heat and spring "open" it?  Is there some
way to be sure of the position of the butterfly relative to the visible
portions of the valve?

If I'm correct, I'd like to put the counterweight "up" rather than "down"
where it would seem to keep the valve "closed".

Thanks.

Ed

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm