Re: [FWDLK] New Antifreeze (was Mr. Dodge)

Re: [FWDLK] New Antifreeze (was Mr. Dodge)

No line pressure?  No-pressure radiator cao?  No thermostat, too?    With no
pressure in the system, you must not have any temperature, either.  After
all, in physics pressure is directly proportional to temperature (and
vice-versa) where volume remains constant.   The other possibility is that
you do not fill the coolant system to capacity.  The expanding coolant will
take up the "unused" room.  (Air can be compressed more than fluid can.)

I don't think you have all the facts yet,

Also, if you drop down to a 7-lb cap, you will also have to change the
thermostat to a lower rating.  Again, it is that relationship between
temperature and pressure.   If you lower your rad cap pressure, and keep
your standard 180/190 thermostat, the rad cap will open as soon as the
thermostat opens.   Cars have 15-lb radiator caps to handle the higher
temperatures, which produces higher pressures.   If you go back to the days
when cars had 7-lb (or less) rad caps, the cars used a 150 or 160
thermostat.  (Which is one reason why heaters today are so much better - the
coolant they use is hotter now than before.)

Bill
Vancouver, BC

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm