Re: [FWDLK] Physics and antifreeze

Where does the service manual state that?  I have a number of manuals from
the 1930's through 1983, and NONE of them state to use ONLY water.

The 1981 service manual states (p7-10) :

"(4) Regardless of climate, the cooling system should be refilled with
sufficient permanent type antifreeze for -34°F (-37°C) protection, to ensure
adequate corrosion, boil and freeze protection.
"(5) If the vehicles is equipped with AIR CONDITIONING* the cooling system
MUST* contain anti-freeze all year round.  This is necessary because in the
reheat-cycle system used on all vehicles, cold refrigerated air passes
through the heater core.  Antifreeze is necessary to prevent the heater core
from freezing (which can cause heater leaks) in hot weather when the air
conditioner is being used."

* - The manual has these words in bold letters, not capitalized.

In the "Refilling System" on page 7-8, no mention is made of using water -
only "Add anti-freeze coolant (not less than 50% concentration) to the
radiator until completely full. "  The paragraph continues on with
instructions on how to fill the radiator, overflow bottle and remove air
from the system.

So, the manual states for A/C cars you MUST install antifreeze, and for
non-A/C cars it states you SHOULD install antifreeze.  However, nowhere does
it state what you should install INSTEAD of antifreeze for non-A/C cars.

In the 1963 Plymouth-Valiant service manual it states (p. 7-6):
"(3) Fill the cooling system to 1 1/4 inches below the filler neck with
water and rust inhibitor or water and antifreeze."

Again - no mention of water only.  Why?  Because the engine block is made of
cast iron, and cast iron rusts.  Water only in the block will cause the
internals of the cast iron block to rust and scale, thus clogging your
cooling system.   The 1941-1948 Chrysler Shop Manual suggested using Mopar
Rust Inhibitor with water for these same reasons, plus a possible
electrolytic effect in the radiator due to the different metals used to
manufacturer a radiator back then.

And in the Air Conditioning section of the 1963 Plymouth-Valiant manual (p
24-9) :
"Air conditioned vehicles must be protected with permanent type anti-freeze
during the summer to +15° or lower to prevent the heater core from
freeziing."

And on page 24-12 :
"It is an absolute necessity for the 1963 air-conditioned vehicle to be
equipped with a radiator cap having a holding pressure of 15 to 16 psi, for
hot weather operation."

So, for Chrysler Corporation at least, antifreeze was a must for A/C cars,
while non-A/C cars could run with antifreeze or a water and rust inhibitor
mixture.  But never did Chrysler advise using straight water.

Bill
Vancouver, BC