Re: [FWDLK] the night is getting longer, starter solenoid

Re: [FWDLK] the night is getting longer, starter solenoid

Mario,

All Mopar electrics in 55 (and my 56) were supplied by Autolite. Autolite
was later acquired by Ford, which is why your 55 solenoid looks like a
 ?Ford? solenoid. They haven?t changed much in 40 years, except the mounting
bracket, and I think Ford still uses a very similar design. The 2 heavy
terminals are for the main current to the starter. One small terminal is
connected to the starter terminal on the ignition switch and activates the
solenoid when the key is in the ?start? position. The second small terminal
goes to the ?neutral safety switch? on automatic transmission cars. This may
need to be grounded if you have a manual transmission. It may work with 6
volts, but may not be designed to carry the higher starter current. There
are new solenoids listed on our ForwardLook New Parts Resource Center, at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/newparts/new_parts_index.html

This listing lists only one part for all 55 Plymouths (probably an error),
but separate solenoids for 55 Dodge by manual (3 terminal) or auto trans (4
terminal).

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500