Re: [FWDLK] AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! Flat head 6 stupid question (circa

Re: [FWDLK] AAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! Flat head 6 stupid question (circa 56)

Chrysler Corporation had two flathead six blocks from 1935, a short one and
a longer one.

The short one had bores up to 3.26" and was used in Plymouth and Dodge cars
in the U.S. from 1935 through 1959.  In Canada, the engine was used from
1935 through the very beginning of 1938.

The larger engine used larger bores (3.375" and 3.437") and was available on
DeSoto and Chrysler cars from 1935 through 1955, plus the 1957 DeSoto
Firesweep taxi.  It was also used on Canadian-built Plymouth and Dodge cars
from 1938 through 1959.

Mechanically, the engines are similar, the differences mainly in the wider
bore centres of the DeSoto-Chrysler engine as opposed to the Plymouth-Dodge
engine.  The good thing is that the 251 engine was available as an
industrial engine into the late 1970's and parts are generally easier to
obtain that for the 230 engine.   The 251 was also used in Canadian-built
Dodge and Fargo trucks, plus Massey-Harris / Massey-Ferguson farm machinery
and I believe in Cockshutt combines and the like.  So, if the auto sources
get scarce, you can try some of the farm implement sources.

The Canadian Plymouth and Dodge first used the 251 engine in 1955 for
Powerflite equipped models, then offered it for all six cylinder models from
1956 to 1959.

You will find Chrysler's flathead six a tough engine, although not very
powerful as far todays speeds are concerned.  But it had a reputation in its
day for longevity that the slant six would gain later.

If you want a Canadian manual for your car, try Ken McGee Auto Literature at
www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com

Bill
Vancouver, BC