[FWDLK] 57 DeSoto carb prob SOLVED

Thanks to EVERYONE who made suggestions on my carburetor woes.  I've torn
this thing apart, and had it on and off the car, so many times in the last
few days that I think I'm now qualified as an expert.  I can do in with my
eyes closed.  This has been one of the most frustrating events in recent
memory.

To make a long story short, I found two things which are highly unlikely
but seem to have contributed to the carb's failure to get the car going
after it sat for a while.  As many of you said, there wasn't enough juice
going past the accelerator pump.  However, I knew it was working, and had
not-so-long ago put in a new pump plunger.

The first "problem" was that the gasket under the venturi had a circular
cut-out for the location where the check ball shoots gas into the
throat.  The problem is, the carb body cavity has an oblong hole, so I
reasoned that not enough opening was there for proper gas flow.  A few
careful cuts with a razor knife and it fit more properly.  I don't see how
this would be a problem "only after the vehicle sets" but it needed done
anyway.

Second, although the check balls themselves aren't that old, the shop
manual says that sometimes the seats themselves don't make a good seal.  It
was the check balls that I thought were "sticking".  I used a hammer and a
small bolt and tapped the balls down hard, making a new seat.  Then I put
in new balls.

Although all the passages looked clean, I used very small wire from a
welding tip cleaning tool and reamed out every orifice.  Then adjusted
everything up again (float, pump "throw", etc.) AND IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

The old girl has NEVER started better, and I've owned her since
1977!  Thanks again for all the advice, guy and gals!

Ed Petrus
57 Firedome
57 Fireflite

http://www.forwardlook.net/search.htm