Re: [FWDLK] Rear end swap

Hi Bob,
    I swapped a 67 Ply. rear end into my 61 DeSoto. The spring saddles on the 67 Ply, rear end are 1/2" further apart, so just fudged a little. The brake hub face
(were the wheels mount) was 1" further apart But I had a lot of room from side of tire to side of finder. The U joint bolted right up.
   Took out the Emg. brake cables but used the automatic adjusters. The gears on my DeSoto were 3.93 to 1. The Ply. are 3.76 to 1. Made for 18 mpg on trip but speedometer read 56 at 60. $56 at local speedometer shop will fix that. You might want to try to find one with gears that match you old rear end.
    Things to check and compare to your car;    The distance the springs are apart, The distance the face of the hubs are apart
(to make sure the tires will clear the fenders). The distance from the center of axle to U Joint. Also if U joint is the same size as yours. If not, the yoke on the new rear end or the yoke on you drive shaft will have to be matched up. If brake pistons in replacement rear end are bigger in diameter then on your car, the break peddle will travel further to stop you, because more brake fluid is needed to move the piston the same distance. Not a problem but something to remember.