[FWDLK] rear end

Hello all again:
I have a small leak coming from the differential on my 58 Plymouth. I got a great deal on a replacement axel seal.($20.00!!)
My question is how much work is it to replace this seal?
I see from my parts book I can remove the whole dash pot from the rear end gears and all.
Is this necessary??
Thanks all again in advance
Terry C
London Ontario Canada