Re: [FWDLK] 1961 desoto starter

Part of the problem may lie in the fact that the 1961 DeSoto came with a 361
V8, not a 383.

However, the starters on the 1961 361, 383 and 413 were the same units.
They were direct-drive starters, and will not interchange with the reduction
gear starters introduced for 1962.  Given that, the following models /
engines used the same starter as the 1961 DeSoto :

1961 Plymouth V8 (except 318)
1961 Dodge V8 (except 318)
1962-64 Dodge 880 with 3-speed manual
1958-59 DeSoto (except Firesweep)
1960-61 DeSoto
1959-61 Chrysler
1962-64 Chrysler with 3-speed manual
1959-61 Imperial

The following used a different starter, but it will fit a 1961 DeSoto :
1957 DeSoto (except Firesweep)
1957-58 Chrysler
1957-58 Imperial

Bill