[FWDLK] weatherstripping solutions

Hello All,
                Just a brief description of some of the ideas I was given by the listmembers.......

There is a product on the market today by Mothers called Back to Black. It is expressly formulated to rejuvenate old rubber products, and let me tell you, it works GREAT!! I have used it on the vent window seals, front and rear windshield seals, even used it on the bellows style brake booster. Stuff works great! I usually put a nice heavy coat of the stuff on the part I am working on and let it sit overnight to fill in all the nooks and cranny's real good. Then, the next day, I go back and rub another ample helping in all over. Be warned though, since you are working with a rubber part, it WILL turn you hands a lovely shade of old rubber black, but the part itself is nice and pliable once again.

  As you described having the gasket boiled, it might turn out as an positive result.  However before risky boiling I can highly recommend treating your old rubber gaskets with GLYCERIN.  You can for sure not damage your old gaskets this way,,,,Glycerin have been used by professional restorers for long time.

    Another thing we have tried...WD40...soaking some smaller molded rubber pieces in warmed WD40 actually worked when water did not...(Of Course, Use Caution...do not heat WD can in microwave or on stove top...I know we all know this...)  I have WD in gallon containers.  I set a container with just enough pre-warmed WD in it to cover the item, then place the container in very hot water.   Seems warm WD will sometimes do a better job than just hot water.  .

Hope this will help us all out. I'll let you know what I try and what worked. Talk to you all later.

Happy Holidays!
Frank