Re: [FWDLK] Trim Removal Help Needed

Hello, All,

I want to thank each of you who offered help with the trim clip removal problem yesterday.

I took my brand-new artificial shoulder into the trunk of the car and looking upside down through the wrong side of my bifocals I was able to remove one clip intact with some pliers.  The fasteners are about the diameter of a penny and actually unscrew, using a couple of tabs that project upward from the outer diameter of the part.  There is NO WAY to remove them with a socket wrench.  I was able to fabricate a tool from a bolt, however.

I chose a 3/8" bolt that the hex head was large enough to fit snugly between the tabs, then drilled a hole down through the center of the bolt head large and deep enough to fit over the pin.  I countersunk the hole enough that the rim of the bolt head laid flat against the fastener, and was able to unscrew them.  Not easily, but I got everything apart unbroken, at least.

I think I'll replace them with Tinnerman nuts, so I can use a standard deep socket.

If anyone is interested, I'll send photos to them for reference.

Thanks again!

Joe Savard