Re: [FWDLK] transmission leak

My '57 Dodge Custom Royal started doing the exact same thing last year --
and also started hesitating fpr several seconds before going into gear on
start-up.  I called my mechanic to schedule an appointment to have the front
seals replaced (again) -- and he told me to try this first:

>>> Get a can of brake fluid, and add about four ounces to the transmission
fluid.  Take the car out on a short trip to mix the fluid, and take a short
trip each day for the next few days to make sure the fluid penetrates the
front seals.  Check the leak after about four or five days. <<<

I had nothing to lose, so I tried this -- and it worked like a charm!  Four
days later the leak had stopped completely, and the car was shifting
normally, and nine months later it's still not leaking -- and it shifts
perfectly.  The same fluid is still in the transmission -- and that will be
changed during the regular springtime overhaul.

My mechanic told me that this was an old trick they used on Ford
transmissions when he worked at a dealer about forty years ago.  Doesn't
hurt the transmission, and it penetrates and softens up hardened seals.
Just make sure you don't add more than four ounces of brake fluid.  He told
me that it probably won't work on serious leaks, but it is nearly always
effective on minor leaks -- and especially on shifting problems caused by
hardened seals, so give it a try and see if it works.