Re: [FWDLK] Holy Rustoleum! (it never sleeps!)

Re: [FWDLK] Holy Rustoleum! (it never sleeps!)

In a message dated 3/20/03 10:27:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx writes:

In retrospect, I wonder, to what extent, the lousy body fit was due to :

1. Poor stamping-quality/tolerances
2. hurried/rushed construction, with 1st-year
  assembly-mistakes
3. General, operator-indifference/ineptitude
4. Poor supervision, of Quality-control
5. Corporate "Quality" indifference (read: "Planned Obsolescence", in
operation).
6. Corporate interest (blindness) in only "getting them out the door"
7. All of the above.

When I was working at Chrysler Engineering in the mid-fifties and early sixties, I remember sitting there in the driver's seat and thinking that if I were building them, I would at least make them look good from behind the wheel!  (Like Generous Motors did.)  Trim fit RIGHT IN THE CABIN was lousy.  I knew they were designed pretty well, mechanically, and the lines were beautiful, but even then, the guys that were buying new ones were plugging the drain holes in the rocker panels, filling them up with Rustoleum primer, and driving around for a couple of days before they drained the primer back out.  Come to think of it, maybe I'd better buy some for my Saratoga!
Joe Savard,
Lake Orion, MI