Re: [FWDLK] New Acquisition

Anyone considering putting an old hemi in their car definitely must take the
weight/cost factor into account. I have been driving my 392 Hemi in a 68
Barracuda off and on since 1985, and that car definitely does not handle as
well as it would with a high-revving small block, or even a big block.
However, you can improve things considerably by switching to an aluminum
water pump, crossover, intake manifold, bellhousing, a modern alternator and
a lightweight starter. Additionally, aluminum heads from Hotheads should
make the hemi weigh about the same or less than a stock wedge motor, but
sure hits the wallet hard. For me, I bought the motor when I was 14 and the
car to put it in came as an afterthought. So my ties to the Hemi are more
emotional than anything. One of the nice things about the hemi is its
ability to run higher compression ratios without pinging on pump gas, and I
must say that I have never been disappointed in the amount of power/torque
my motor has given. However, any motor loaded down with a lot of weight will
likely be disappointing.

Realistically, I will not be driving this car more than once a week so the
difference in gas mileage is not a major concern. Its sole purpose is for
nostalgic fun. Always build a car with a purpose and don't stray from that.
I built a Nova wagon for family camping trips and frequent interstate travel
so that gas mileage was more essential. I put the original six cylinder
behind an automatic overdrive trans and had to tell myself over and over
that I really didn't want a strong V8. In the end it paid off. I ended up
with a very nice, useful wagon.

Nathan Nuttall