From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Curtis French
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 8:25 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] New Acquisition

Those old polys weren't so light either.  As I recall:

392 hemi  750 lbs.
426 hemi 700 lbs
440  650 lbs
383 625 lbs
318 poly 600 lbs
340 wedge 530 lbs
Slant 6 475 lbs

I have a 426 hemi Charger and a big block wedge 64 Polara.  Same cubes
(434).  Hemi is stock; the wedge has Edelbrock heads and intake, .500 lift
solid cam, and 750 Holley.  Modified wedge and stock hemi make about the
same power.  I wouldn't call either of them slugs, down low or anywhere
else.  I put drag radials on the hemi because I was tired of going sideways
in low gear.  About to do the same for the Polara.

As said, a 392 can be lightened with aluminum.  A friend of mine is swapping
a slant 6/904 for a 440/727.  He weighed both complete assemblies.  With
aluminum heads, intake and water pump, lightweight starter, and aluminum A/C
compressor on the 440, he only picked up 90 pounds over the slant 6 (and 40
lbs of that was from the extra weight of the 727 trans).

BTW, Nathan that's a really solid looking 56.

Curtis French
56 Belvedere club sedan
59 Coronet 2 dr hardtop

2003 Calendar voting results and ordering information is online!  Please
visit: