[FWDLK] O-ring leak? explain this to me...

[FWDLK] O-ring leak? explain this to me...

I recently had my cast iron Torqueflite pulled for repair because of a leak
in the front seal.  After it went back in, I developed a small leak from the
adapter housing for the button shift control cable.  At least, I don't think
it was there before; but it seems likely that removing the cable
precipitated the leak.

With some help from the group, I executed the maneuver that's need to free
the end of the cable from the retaining spring.  I pulled the assembly out
and removed the o-ring that I'm told is the usual culprit.

But you know what?  When I look at it, I can see some small pits in it --
but I'm wondering if it's enough to cause the leak.  It seems pliable
enough, and maybe the pits were caused by poking around to free the spring
detente.  Hey!  What if the trans jocks burred up the cylinder?  But when I
stick my pinky in there and feel around, it seems smooth enough...

I'm not sure I'm convinced this ring is in bad enough shape to cause the
leak; unless, it shrank a bit with age?  Would it be pliable then?  And
since the only movement that could cause wear is when you adjust it -- it
doesn't move otherwise -- why should it leak?

All of this convinces me, that it's critical to replace this ring with the
right part.  Should I trust eyeballing one that "seems" to be the right size
from a drawer full of o-rings?  Or, is there a replacement part number that
I can take to NAPA and request the recommended part?  (I measure about 1/2"
ID and 11/16" OD, by the way.)

I dunno... I wish the rains on the East Coast would stop, and I wish that
the leaks under Faulkner would stop.  Both seem equally persistent to me 8^)

        Dan
        '59 Sport Fury