[FWDLK] oil filler cap

Group,

What is the filter part of an oil filler cap?    Mine is very old and
not working very well at filtering the old  back into the engine.   Can
this be replaced with some other material?   Can it be cleaned to renew
it?   I don't want to replace the cap with non-stock one.

Greg in WI
1956 Dodge Royal Lancer