Re: [FWDLK] oil filler cap

yes they can be restored with copper mesh as found on pot scruppers at the grocery store.  A $1.50 scrupper can be installed into the cap after you carefully peal back the lip to separate the bottom from the cap. Warning..do not cut the mesh or little pieces will fall out and could get into your engine.   While the cap is apart, clean it for repainting.
Now after inserting the mesh and putting the bottom back on slowly peen your way around to reseal the cap.  Now you are ready for paint.  Done carefully it should look like new. I use a large vise opening it far enough to slip the cap up to the flange. As you peen it closed, rotate it.
Marv