Re: [FWDLK] Any help appriciated

Hi Dirk,

I don't have any experience with New Jersey or Tennessee but I've done
this in Oregon, Massachussetts and Pennsylvania. I think that the key
is to find an insurance company that would be ready to insure the car.
Usually they want to sell you an insurance for at least six months and
give you a refund if you cancel it earlier. Many companies are not
interested in insuring foreigners as they think it's not worthwhile.

Again, the registration varies from state to state, in Oregon they
transferred the old plates to me, in PA i got a 30-day tag and in MA I
got new plates which had to be returned in order to cancel the
insurance.

I have used either an address of someone I know locally or the seller,
both ways seem to work fine. The DMV offices are an experience to visit,
I could never have thought that something that inefficient could be
found in the good old US of A (no offense guys). Be prepared to spend
a while there.

I'm sure that some NJ and TN members can tell you how these things work
there but with some planning beforehand you shouldn't have any problems.
It will be a great experience to do this, go for it!

Good luck, Hans in Finland