[FWDLK] Trunk lid liner/mat

Does anyone have a recommendation for replacing the tar paper mat between
the trunk lid frame and skin.

My 56 Dodge came with a water swollen and sagging mat which I have removed.
I need some replacement material.  I have considered the following:
1) Apply sealing caulk between frame and skin which would maintain
separation of skin and frame, but would not look original and would adhere
the skin to the frame that may give expansion and contraction problems.
This is the way modern trunk lid skins are done.
2) Inserting heavy roofing felt between frame and skin and glue the exposed
edges to the skin only. This would look somewhat original, but I am not sure
how long it would last.

Are there any better ideas?  Thanks for the help.

Ken Rimington
1956 Dodge Custom Royal.