Re: [FWDLK] Fw: IML: Checking ownership

Just to follow up on Thomas Miller's comments:

I lived in Georgia for many years.  Georgia didn't even have car titles
until 1963, and you could not later get one for pre-63 cars.  When my family
moved to Georgia from Florida in 1967, we absolutely could not get a Georgia
title for the 62 Polara 500 convertible we brought into Georgia with us, and
never mind that we had a Florida title for it.  Of course, that means that
(unless they changed the law) no Georgia Forward Look car can have a Georgia
title.

Many Georgia cars built in 63 and later don't have titles either because for
a long time you could convey ownership of a car that was more than 12 years
old without a title.  All you needed was a bill of sale and a tag receipt.
Since it wasn't necessary to sign over the title, most cars old enough to be
title exempt but not old enough to be collectible got sold without conveying
title.  Once that happened, forget about ever getting one later.  At least
not from the State of Georgia.

When I moved back to Florida in 1994, half my cars didn't have titles.  Now
they all do, because Florida will give you a title for an untitled Georgia
car so long as you can prove ownership, either by a current Georgia tag
receipt showing you as owner, or, if you just bought the car, a bill of
sale.  Only problem with moving cars into Florida is the first-time
registration fee, which can amount to several hundred dollars per car.  At
least the impact fee (another several hundred dollars per car) was declared
unconstitutional by the Florida Supreme Court before I moved down here.

Curtis
56 Belvedere
59 Coronet
Plus 49 Wayfarer; 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk; 63 Valiant convert; 64 Polara
convert; 65, 67 and 69 Barracudas; and 67 Hemi Charger