[FWDLK] Electrical Question

Some time ago, I had a problem where my brake lights came on without the
pedal being depressed. I jiggled with the pedal and it went away. No more
problem. Hardly a real fix, but out of sight, out of mind.....

Fast forward to today. I start the car, letting it warm up before taking it
for a spin. I am out of the car, cleaning the chrome around the tail lights
and I clearly recall that the brake lights were not on. I go into the car
the hit the gas come back out and the brake lights are on. I suspect that I
may of tapped the brake pedal in the process, though that should matter
little. I held down the brake pedal when I stated the car. Immediately, I
recalled my previous problem and so I go and wiggle the brake pedal around.
This time, it does no good. The brake lights will not go out. Next, I pop
open the hood to remove the wires connecting to the brake light switch. I go
to remove the wire and it is hot. I don't mean warm to the touch, I mean a
burned finger, blister and all after a split second touch. I shut of the
car, tail lights still on, then remove the wire. Lights go off. (The wire I
removed was the White one which goes to the turn signal switch cluster in
the steering column.) I will say that about 2 years ago, I put a new wiring
harness in the car. I have had no problems and have added nothing to the car
to affect the original wiring set up, such as a radio, etc.

So, what could be causing this? If there is one area of cars I know the
least, it is electrical. I suspect it could be a short or something, but
would that cause the lights to come on? Several hours later, I went out and
reconnected the wires. The tail lights came on again and the wires started
to get hot. I have noticed no other electrical problems up to this point.
Any tips or leads on how to track down the problem would be appreciated. No
matter how basic, it is helpful. I would like to address this myself without
having to take it to an electrician. I am sure it is a simple problem. Could
the switch going bad cause this??

James
1959 Dodge