[FWDLK] Backfiring

Hello Everyone,

I have a general question.   The engine in question is an overhead
valve six cylinder.
Okay okay, the car is a '62 Rambler, but I do have about seven
Forwardlook cars.  It is a weird problem and could apply to any car
really.   The compression is excellent in all cylinders.   It is
supposed to be around 150 lbs  and it is very near that in all
cylinders except one where it is 170 lbs..   The carburetor backfires
steadily going along with the engine.   When I remove the spark plug
wire from the high reading cylinder, the backfiring goes away.  When I
remove any other plug wire, the backfiring is still there.   The valves
also sound noisy as well.    When I took the compression reading in
that cylinder, there was a weird fluttering sound.     I checked the
timing and it is good.    Any thoughts?   thank you.   Nick Nichols