Re: [FWDLK] Front end rebuild for a '59

I can give you some Moog part numbers, as I went through this a while back
for my 59.  The info is from notes I made at the time.

Upper ball joint - K772 (std) or K7262 (HD)
Lower ball joint - K719
Upper control arm bushing kit (1 per car) K325
Upper control arm shaft kit (2 per car) K8243A
Strut Rod bushings (new improved type) K7039

Moog didn't have a listing for the lower control arm bushings, but I got a
pair from Bernbaum for $15.

I got both complete tie rod assemblies (with inner and outer ends) for $20
per side off eBay a couple of years ago.

According to my notes, most of these numbers, except for the upper control
arm bushings, are the same for 57-61 Dodge, 62-64 Dodge 880, 61-64 Chrysler
Newport and 63-64 New Yorker.  60-62 New Yorker is all different.

You can remove the ball joints from the control arms yourself with the
correct ball joint socket, a breaker bar and a pipe to put on the end of the
breaker bar.  Unscrew them while the control arms are still on the car.  Get
6-7 feet of leverage and they come off relatively easily.  Getting to this
point assumes you have successfully taken the tension off the torsion bars,
removed the brakes, and got the ball joints out of the spindle (a tie rod
separator and a big hammer works here).  Two other potentially difficult
steps are getting the torsion bars to slide back out of the way (the correct
clamping tool helps), and then getting the upper control arm shafts out.
They are supposed to slide out, but if they are just a little bit rusted to
the bushing shell, no amount of hammering will get them out and they will
probably have to be cut out.  Getting the bushings out of the lower control
arm will require a shop press.  The uppers can be removed without a press,
but it ain't easy.  There is a tool for this job that makes it a lot easier.

Hope this helps a bit.

Curtis
59 Coronet 2 dr. hardtop
56 Belvedere Club Sedan