[FWDLK] reproducing items

Hi, gang.  I have a good friend who has been coordinating the reproduction
of several Buick items with an overseas (China) company.  At a recent car
show, he and I were talking about how difficult it is to find some of the
items for my cars (1957 DeSoto sedans).  He is seriously considering having
the company quote the costs for reproducing several items, possibly
starting with the '57-'58 DeSoto taillight towers, and maybe front outside
door handles (I think they may fit several years).

I do know of one guy who has done laser-scanning of a taillight tower,
possibly for reproduction here in the states.  I will contact him again to
get the status of his project before jumping in with anything which might
be a duplicate effort.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm not really sure what I'm asking,
and don't know the right questions to ask, but will take any comments you
folks wish to share.  If you have suggestions for another, more-needed
part, let me know (privately).

Ed Petrus