Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge Cracked Steering Wheel Owner's...Unite!

Re: [FWDLK] 1959 Dodge Cracked Steering Wheel Owner's...Unite!

I redid my 60 Saratoga steering wheel. It was pretty worn when I started.
The 12 o'clock position was all worn down to black, and there were huge
cracks in about 7 places. I filed out the cracks to make caverns (it feels
like a step in the wrong direction at first). Then I worked the putty into
the caverns and let it dry. Then I sanded it smooth, primed it, and painted
it with Toyota truck blue paint from the auto parts store. 3 mistakes I made
in the process: 1, I didn't pay enough attention to how smooth I sanded the
repairs because some are still visible after painting. 2, I neglected to
tape over the metal in the center of the wheel, and now my horn only works
sometimes (infuriating when I want to tell off some import with too much
subwoofer who just cut in my lane!). 3, I didn't finish paint it with clear
coat. Cruising around this summer my sweaty palms get kind of sticky on the
wheel, and I fear it might lose its appearance.

I posted some pictures to my website, but I didn't remember until I looked
in the cockpit that I put a steering wheel cover on, so you can't see much.
But if you look at the passenger side spoke, on the top is a spot where
there was a big crack but I didn't fill it in expertly enough.

steering wheel:
http://www.cbkidder.com/img/stwheel.jpg

`60 taillites at night:
http://www.cbkidder.com/img/what_others_see.jpg