Re: [FWDLK] DAMMIT, we're in agreement; I hate that!

Re: [FWDLK] DAMMIT, we're in agreement; I hate that!

When it  comes to the advertised horsepower ratings of an engine, it's not
the engineering department that sets the fgures, it's the advertising
department.

As a case in point, in 1958 Chrysler of Canada used a 2-bbl version of the
354-cid Chrysler V8 in the Dodge Custom Royal, DeSoto Firedome and Chrysler
Windsor.  When you check the parts book, all three cars used the same
parts - the part numbers are identical for all three  (although the DeSoto
did use a different carb during part of the year).

You would think the numbers would be the same for all three, since the
engines (carb, manifolds, and all) are identical for all three.  Nope ....

Dodge Custom Royal :
    HP - 275 @ 4400 rpm;  Torque - 370 @ 2000 rpm
DeSoto Firedome :
   HP - 295 @ 4600 rpm;  Torque - 385 @ 2000 rpm
Chrysler Windsor :
   HP - 290 @ 4400 rpm;  Torque - 385 @ 2000 rpm

When it came to the 426 hemi, there apparently was an unwritten "ceiling"
for advertising horsepower ratings back then - 425.   No American
manufacturer had an engine with more than 425 advertised horsepower.  The
engineering departments had other figures, though.

Bill
Vancouver, BC