Re: [FWDLK] 413 Chrysler with 8 to 1 Compression Ratio?????

Re: [FWDLK] 413 Chrysler with 8 to 1 Compression Ratio?????

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the issue is not what compression ratio
413's originally had, but what kind of compression ratio you'll have if you
use today's readily available, off-the-shelf pistons.  And no, you can't
assume that a replacement piston is just like the original or that it will
give you the same CR.  This is true of 413s and every other vintage motor.
In fact virtually all stock replacement pistons for early high compression
V-8's are the low compression variety and, especially if you use composition
head gaskets, can easily drop the compression ratio a couple of points down
from stock.

Now the speed equipment industry offers a variety of pistons for older hi-po
motors, and there are plenty of relatively inexpensive high compression
pistons available for 440s, but NONE that I'm aware of for a 413.  Just for
one example, go to the Keith Black piston web site and look around.  The
only pistons they offer for a 413 will end up .080 below deck at TDC, and
this will give you about 8:1 CR with open chamber heads and thick head
gaskets.  Closed chamber heads will be about half a point higher.

I'm not aware of any other piston maker that has an off-the-shelf 413 piston
with any more CR.    Milling the heads and/or block will bring the CR up
some, of course, but won't take care of the fact that you will have a
non-quench motor (which limits how much CR you can safely run).  Custom
pistons can be made to order, but they cost $$$$

For these reasons, plus the extra 30 cubes, used 440s bring a lot more money
than used 413s.  That's just a fact.  Doesn't mean you can't use a 413, or
that they aren't good motors, just means they aren't worth a whole lot
(unless it has all the right markings for use in a high-dollar collectible
like a 300 letter car or max wedge).

By the way, I picked up a "dead" 413 for $50 a few months ago.  It was
stuck, but I got the crank out OK (worth what I paid for the motor all by
itself) and so far have three pistons out.  Got sidetracked by other
projects, but maybe will get the other five out someday.

Curtis
59 Coronet 2 dr hardtop (413)
56 Belvedere club sedan (277)
Plus 49 Wayfarer (flathead 230), 63 Valiant convertible (225), 64 Polara
convertible (434 stroker), 65 Barracuda 4-speed (340), 67 Hemi Charger, 67
Barracuda coupe (360), 69 Cuda 383 fastback 4-speed, and 56 Studebaker
Golden Hawk 3-speed OD (352)