[FWDLK] Brakes Thread

To all,

I have been enjoying this discussion greatly.  One of the great things about this list is not only the technical help you get, but the personalities of the members, which comes through in strings like this (and I mean that in the most complimentary sense).  I need to thank everyone who responded to my post about getting my front drums turned on the '56 Savoy.    Paul, I took your advice and brought them to Tom  Hunsaker, of Autotech Unlimited.  He checked them and said they aren't out of round and don't need turning.  At this point I am inclined to put them back on and drive the old girl over to his shop and let him sort out the problem.  A friend who is knowledgable about cars thought it unlikely that the rear drums would produce such a strong pulse back in the brake pedal, since they carry less of the load. Still, it has to be coming from somewhere.  I am sympathetic to the argument in favor of safety upgrades.  As to cost, if I had to replace the front drums I note that Vintage Auto Parts wants $165.00 ea. for them.  At those prices it's a lot easier to justify going the AAJ route.  I didn't know about the Bendix Drums until Neil mentioned them, so many thanks for that tip, Neil.   Since the Plymouth is now my daily driver I can't afford to have her up on jack stands too much longer - another reason to let the pro tackle the job.  Still, I welcome the advice from all quarters.

Sincerely,

Bob McGrath