Re: [FWDLK] brakes and other things

When my 58 Ply was on the road, I can remember stompin' on the brake pedal to try to make the beast stop.  The 11x2" brakes on the Plymouth are really substandard.  So in the interest of stopping the car and at the same time keeping it original, I have installed 12x2 1/2" brakes from a 58 Chrysler, which were an option on 58 Ply police cars, along with a power brake setup.  So when the car gets back on the road I'll see if putting oversize brakes on the car will work.  Personally, I can see both sides on the disc brake debate.  I'm in favor of safety upgrades, so we'll see how things go...

Also, my understanding of brake fade is that this phenomenon occurs when the drum gets so hot from braking that it expands to the point that the shoes can no longer reach the drum to stop the car adequately.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Ron