Re: [FWDLK] them's the brakes

If I remember my own article (LOL), I believe that only the 63 -64 Dodge
880,  and New Yorker WAGONS had BOTH the front & rear 11x3" brakes (or,
you could find a donor 300
J/K--good luck)--otherwize, the 63/64 Chryslers
(incl Newports???) had the FRONT brakes, only. You need the 'complete'
assemblies, including spindles & backing-plates--no big deal, on a
wrecking-yard car--but be CAREFUL when removing the spindles--my 'yard
wasn't; as seen in the article's photos. The only 'surgery' is the
removal of the 2" tail-ends ("steering-stops") of the rear of the
strut-bars. An added BONUS is, now, your car WILL have a noticibly
SMALLER turning-circle!!

A 65 Chrysler w/the 11x3" brakes WILL work, but you need to 'get' the
Lower Control Arms, too.

For the rears, the 11x3" brakes are found on the 'performance'  B-bodies
(if you don't score
the 'rears' from the above-referenced cars!!) If you DO find the older
units, they will bolt-on.

The late-60's require that you get ONLY the complete brake-assembly. The
fun-trick is simply cutting around the CENTERPLANE's
backing-plate, to preserve its central axle-seal
"shoulders", and mounting-stud-holes. THEN, you 'scalp' the very-top of
the tapered axle 'face' (in NO way 'hurting' the axle's ability to mate
a Centerplane brake), so that the flat-topped inside-contour
of the Bendix's 'backing-plate will mate to the axle-flange--simpleness:
defined.

btw, immediately after I installed the FRONT  11x3" brakes (with my
'original' 12x2" (?) Centerplanes) , I "noticed" (SURE!) that the rear
brakes locked-up, under 'moderate' braking.  So, I was motivated to
install the 11x3" units.

After installing the rear 11x3"ers, I've NEVER experienced (early)
rear-wheel lock-up.

As I said before, there is super-duper brake-linings "out-there", &
Firm-Feel is apparently offering that,  on their 11x3"  shoes, now.

Neil