[FWDLK] Hub Puller ( I know, I know - Check the archives)

[FWDLK] Hub Puller ( I know, I know - Check the archives)

Dear List:

I need a quick sanity check.  I am trying to get the rear drums off of my '56 Savoy.

Question 1.  A friend suggested I try the puller that Auto Zone loans out.  I attached it, but I have my doubts that this is going to work, and it looks like it could even screw up my drums.  It was designed for front wheel drive cars and for rear wheel "flanges."  There's a picture of it on the Auto Zone website. It doesn't have the bar that you whack with a sledge like the others I have seen. Also the "arms" do not completely clear the raised lip of the drum where it fits over the axle.   Has anybody used one of these successfully?  Am I right to be concerned about warping the drums?

Question 2.  How much effort should be needed to get the axle nut to turn? I pulled the cotter pin out but it isn't budging.  Doesn't this have to be loosened before you apply force to the hub puller?

This is a continuation of the saga of my pulsing brakes.  Turning the front drums didn't help, and the sound I am getting seems to be coming from the rear anyway.

As always,  I appreciate the valuable advice from those who have done this before.

Regards,

Bob McGrath