[FWDLK] Terminology: Hub cap / Wheel cap

[FWDLK] Terminology: Hub cap / Wheel cap

Technically, the "hub cap" is the cap on the end of the spindle poking through the center of the wheel.  It covers only the hub where the bearings are housed and packed in grease thereby keeping dirt and water out of the bearings and keeping the grease in.   Think of the cars of the very early '30s (like a Model A F__d) and earlier where the "hub cap" truly coverd the bearings and grease on the spindle.  Once the wheel caps covered the hub caps for ornamentation, and to give a larger place to promote the brand of the automobile in large chrome and bright colored letters, people confused the two terms.

A "wheel cap" is any appearance item that attaches to the wheel to cover the "hub cap" and lug nut area.   Thus whether the wheel cap is small covering only the center of the wheel (small or standard wheel cap) or is large covering the wheel to or almost to the tire ( large, full, or deluxe wheel cap) they are ALL wheel caps.    Not all wheel caps were chromed or bright stainless either:  in 1942, when some "blackout" models were built for the war years, they had black or gray painted wheel caps.

I don't know who invented the term "dog dish hub cap" but it became popular sometime after the muscle car era and it still sound silly to me.  Its a "dog dish" if you leave it off the car and it fills up with rain but under no conditions is it actually a "hub cap".

Wayne