Re: [FWDLK] Terminology: Hub cap / Wheel cap

Re: [FWDLK] Terminology: Hub cap / Wheel cap

I have a copy of Chrysler's 1972 parts catalogue in front of me and it
refers to a "Wheel Hub Cap" that covers the centre hub and the lub nuts.

The small cap used on the front wheels to cover the nut, cotter pin and
grease is referred to as a "Wheel Grease Cap".

See Section 22-08-0 : Wheel Hub Caps

The present term for the hub cap and grease cap came into being when wheels
became removable from the hub / axle by using lug nuts or bolts.  In the
days of the Model T the wheel was held on to the axle ends by the nut and
cotter pin in the centre - the same one that today is used to hold the drum
or disc in place.   It wasn not until the mid-1920's that four wheel brakes
became common.  Prior to that brakes were only on the rear wheels.

Bill
Vancouver, BC